That is the place you will discover Hapuna Seashore State Park, which tops his checklist of finest US seashores for 2021.
Leatherman is professor and director of the Laboratory for Coastal Analysis at Florida Worldwide College. He has reviewed seashores throughout the nation since 1991.
His 50 standards embrace sand softness, water temperature, variety of sunny days and measurement of breaking waves. Whereas he has traveled to seashores all through the US over time, Leatherman relied closely on his contacts at totally different seashores for updates on their situation through the pandemic.
White sand, blue water, inexperienced perspective
Hawai’i bans the sale of any SPF sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate, Birch mentioned, “so please use solely reef-safe, mineral-based sunscreens to assist hold our ocean and marine life thriving.”
Leatherman informed CNN Hapuna Seashore earned bonus factors for Hawaii’s ban on smoking at its seashores in addition to its lifeguards’ security report.
“I’ve acquired to present these bonus factors to the states that do the fitting factor,” he mentioned.
In addition to Hawaii, the opposite states included on this yr’s High 10 are New York, North Carolina, Florida, California, South Carolina and Massachusetts.
The highest 10 seashores for 2021
1. Hapuna Seashore State Park, Island of Hawai’i
2. Coopers Seashore, Southampton, New York
3. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Seashore, Outer Banks, North Carolina
4. St. George Island State Park, Franklin County, Florida Panhandle
5. Lighthouse Seashore, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
6. Duke Kahanamoku Seashore, Oahu, Hawaii
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Coronado Seashore, San Diego, California
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10. Coast Guard Seashore, Cape Cod, Massachusetts